Thursday, December 15, 2011

Should I keep my credit card even though I balance transfer it?

I just received an offer for a new credit card that will allow me to balance transfer with 0% apr for a full year. I have been looking for a new card to balance transfer because my current apr on the one card is extremely high. If I balance transfer the amount, should I keep the one card open and pay it off each month, like for gas, or should I close it because that would then leave me with 3 credit cards open. Any advice would be great. Thanks.|||Generally you should keep the card open...as it affects your 'average age of accounts.' In some cases it is okay to close old accounts, assuming you have "older" credit.





As long as it doesn't have an annual fee, you should probably keep it open. Be sure to have some minor activity on it every quarter, to keep it active in the lender's files...maybe run your cable bill through it and pay in full every month.|||Keep it, but don't use it, or use it minimally.





If you don't have credit cards, do start using them. If you have them, use them sparingly if at all.|||Keep the card open. Having open revolving credit is good especially if its in good standing. Just don't use it anymore in case of emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment